Thursday, June 28, 2012

Here's the second of seven columns published in the local newspapers.

On the Campaign Trail
( No. 2 ,  June 27th)
I’ve been accused of being a tree hugger.   I wonder … I’m a member of the National Wild Turkey Federation, Quail Forever, Missouri Trappers Association, Conservation Federation of Missouri, NRA, and the Missouri Prairie Foundation.   Does that make me a tree hugger?
Maybe it’s because I am passionate about scientifically based conservation.  Maybe it’s because I believe we should be good stewards of the land and our land use practices should be ethical and renewable.  Missouri’s diverse resources should be considered an intricate part of our natural heritage to be shared with future generations.
Last year over 3000 people visited our 120 acre Prairie Star Restoration Farm.    If each of the visitors that witnessed our restoration efforts wanted to call me a tree hugger, I guess that would be OK.
Missouri is a diverse matrix of urban, rural, agricultural, industrial, and natural areas. We are all connected, every piece and part, and every individual in it … even the tree huggers.
My name is Bruce Sassmann, I care about our natural resources, I will work for the common good of all men, and I will pray for a healthy and prosperous future.

No comments:

Post a Comment