Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Self introduction

Last night the candidates for state representative in the 62nd Legislative District were invited to the Osage County Farm Bureau meet and greet.    Each of the nine candidates were given two minutes to tell a little about themselves.    Unfortuneately, few told about what really matters.   No one tried to discribe how they think or what motivates them into action.   I went home and reflected on the self introductions and wrote this:

"I have always considered myself to be open minded. I explore ideas from several different points of view. I am respectful of other people’s opinion.
            My background is science based. My approach to life’s decisions are based on fact. They are not driven by raw emotion. I am not afraid to make a decision. I will not walk away from a problem.
I am future oriented. I am willing to sacrifice the here and now for the benefits of a prosperous future.
My weaknesses are impatience and obsession. I have a hard time waiting for someone else to find a solution to our basic problems. I want it done now. And, I don’t give up easily. If an issue is important, I will devote my time and energy to it.

The new 62nd Legislative District is my back yard. It is where I grew up, where I live and work, where I invest my time and money. It is my past, my present, and my legacy.    My name is Bruce Sassmann, director of a 94 year old family funeral business. My family and I have been in your service for four generations and I am prepared to do more. It would be an honor to serve the citizens of this district your next state representative."

No comments:

Post a Comment